Riding for Refreshment 2014
Over the past two years (2012 – 2013) , the kids at Calvary Creekside have raised over $16,000 for clean water in Haiti and Soriti, Uganda. These efforts have helped tens of thousands in need. Below is more information about what we will be raising money for (Planet Water Aqua Tower) in this year’s Bike a Thon.
Our 2014 annual Bike a Thon was on July 26, 2014 at Fisher Elementary School in Lynden. We raised about $10,000 for clean water projects in the Philippines.
Here are 2 PDF flyers that have a snapshot of who Planet Water is and what the Aqua Tower does.
Planet Water AquaTower
- Serves a community of 1,000 with 10,000 liters of water per day
- Water quality that meets World Health Organization standards
- Operates with no consumables
- A green solution: can operate without power or use of chemicals
- System installed in a single day
- Very simple maintenance process
- Five year system guarantee
- Low system acquisition cost
- A highly sustainable solution
The AquaTower UF Filter incorporates a hollow fiber membrane housed within a protective canister through which untreated feed water enters. During the filtration process, bacteria, protozoa, viruses, pathogens and other contaminates greater than 0.1 micron are removed and crystal clean drinking water is produced. The AquaTower filter is not intended to be replaced, but simply cleaned periodically using a manual cleaning procedure. Training on system operation and maintenance is provided to system caretakers as part of each deployment.
A Sustainable Solution
- A scale-appropriate solution with a turn-key, end-to-end approach
- Appropriate and effective filtration technologies which are low-cost and robust
- Sustainable development – training, spare parts, project monitoring, job creation
- Longitudinal measurement of system performance via pre-defined metrics, pre-project and routine post-project assessments
Riding for Refreshment 2013
Over the past two years, the kids at Calvary Creekside have raised over $16,000 for clean water in Haiti and Soriti, Uganda. These efforts have helped tens of thousands in need.
Last year (2013) we partnered with Giving Children Hope to raise funds to purchase personal filtration systems called LifeStraws. Each straw can filter 265 gallons of water and costs $20. These straws will be distributed by a local Christian-run hospital called Bethesda Hospital. Along with this, we plan to purchase 5 communal water purifiers which purify 26,417 gallons/100,00 liters each. These have built-in filtration systems that can clean water for a 5 year period and cost $600 each. These purifiers will reside at the hospital and provide life giving water to patients at the hospital.
Clean water is the way to making a difference in the lives of an entire Ugandan Village! The Bike-a-Thon will be an annual event. Stay tuned for more information on the 2014 Bike-a-Thon.
“But whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life” – John 4:14
We are proud to partner with Giving Children Hope to bring clean water to those in need and pointing them to The Living Water – Jesus Christ.